Watermelon is a god’s gift to humankind, especially during the summers, you can eat it, and drink it and it does its job of refreshing and rejuvenating perfectly. Watermelon has a lot of water content in it which keeps you hydrated and full for long durations of the day. Another thing watermelon has in abundance are the seeds now some people consider these healthy but there are a lot of surprising health benefits of watermelon seeds. Watermelon seeds have been found in the prehistoric Uan Muhuggiag, a Libyan site.
Everything that has pros also has some cons similarly there are side effects of watermelon seeds too. In this article, we will discuss some of the benefits and side effects of watermelon seeds. Watermelon seeds are rich in nutrition watermelon itself is very rich in minerals. Watermelon seeds are a powerhouse of many micronutrients like calcium, zinc, folate, magnesium, iron, and potassium.
1 oz(28.3 gm) of watermelon seeds calorie value is as follows:-
- 13.4 gm of fat
- 8 gm of protein
- 2.06 mg of iron
- 15.35 mg of calcium
- 4.34 g of carbohydrates
- 146 mg of magnesium
- 184 mg of potassium
- 214 mg of phosphorous
- 2.9 mg of zinc
- 16.4 mcg of folate
There are a total of 158 kcal in 1 oz of watermelon seeds and as we have already mentioned there are a lot of benefits of watermelon seeds.
Benefits of Watermelon Seeds
- Watermelon seeds like watermelon are rich in many essential nutrients and minerals. These can be a very good source of nutrients, the brown seeds when dried can be eaten in smoothies and shakes.
- Magnesium present in the watermelon seeds is a very essential nutrient for the human body it helps keep many body organs in shape from head to toe.
- Watermelon seeds are a great source of protein, minerals, and other healthy fatty acids, these are very important for hair and skin. These fatty acids specially strengthen the hair.
- Watermelon seeds have calcium, magnesium, and potassium in abundance all of these minerals are known for helping improve bone strength. Not just strength watermelon seeds are known to improve bone density too.
- Since the seeds contain a lot of micronutrients and other important minerals all of which together help improve the body’s metabolism a great deal.
- One big benefit of watermelon seeds is that they don’t contain any unhealthy fatty acids, all the healthy essential fatty acids like oleic acid, and linoleum acid both of whom are important for the body’s functioning.
Side Effects of Watermelon Seeds
- Watermelon seeds have potassium in abundance which is necessary for many body functions, it makes our bones stronger and improves the health of the heart but too much potassium can also lead to cardiovascular problems.
- Since both watermelon and its seeds have high water content it could lead to overhydration, a condition in which your body retains more water than necessary which could eventually lead to loss of sodium content in the body, and weak kidney swelling.
- Watermelon has a high quantity of water and dietary fiber which can lead to
digestive problems like diarrhea, bloating, etc.
As it is clear from the above lists too much of anything can be bad. So even though watermelon and its seeds are good for our health we should try consuming it in moderation.