Corn is a food item people of all ages enjoy eating, it is tasty, easy to chew, and can be prepared in a lot of different ways to eat. Preparing corn can be as easy as boiling it in water, topping it with butter and spices and it is ready to eat. We find ourselves eating corn almost every other day be it popcorn, sweet corn, butter corn, many people add it in the veggies too or make separate new dishes centered around the corn. Corn is often associated with weight loss but also has a few controversies attached to it. The question “is corn good for weight loss” still remains up for discussion.
Corn is eaten all over the world either as a cereal grain or as a starchy vegetable. It is a powerhouse of fiber, vitamins, and minerals, all the essential nutrients. The presence of these nutrients might sway you to say yes corn is good for weight loss but despite being a source of so many vital nutrients corn is known to raise blood sugar levels and the fact that crop of corn is often genetically modified around the world with the help of injections and supplements puts a spanner in the whole is corn good for weight loss discussion.
A cob of corn has corn and seeds on it, corn which is often eaten as sweet corn around the world, and seeds that are used to make popcorn. Sweet corn contains bacteria that are good for your health. It acts as a brilliant probiotic, aids in digestion, improves metabolism that could eventually aid in the weight loss process. It is also rich in Vitamin A, B, and C which helps make skin and eyes better.
Via this article, I will try to answer the question: is corn good for weight loss along with some benefits and some disadvantages of corn. Corn can be really good for your health if eaten in moderation, too much of anything can be bad. The same goes for corn.
- What are the Benefits of Fenugreek Seeds for Hair Growth 2022
- 7 Best Hair Benefits of Pumpkin Seed Oil
Why you should eat corn
- Corn is a really good source of fiber, fiber stays for longer in the stomach and makes one feel full for longer durations, and helps burn the stored fat that is why corn should be part of every health freak’s breakfast.
- Corn is a really good probiotic and can work wonders for the digestive system, it increases the body’s metabolism, and that ultimately aids in weight loss, and by keeping the stomach full for longer periods it also reduces calorie intake.
- Corn contains all the necessary B vitamins, proteins, potassium, iron all the nutrients that are vital for a healthy body and life.
- One plain ear of corn contains 100 calories same as an apple, then there are also 3 grams of fiber in each serving of corn and starch, which is a really slow-digesting carb that can help with weight control. All these factors make corn an agent of weight loss.
Benefits of Eating Corn
- Unprocessed corn kernels can be really good for health, it is rich in fiber, magnesium, and Vitamin C. All of these nutrients are available in organic corn and are really helpful for the body.
- Corn kernels are also a good source of carotenoid antioxidants, a good kind of antioxidants. Carotenoid antioxidants are known to help improve the immune system, they also protect eyes and skin from any oxidative stress.
- One cup of corn kernels contains 4.5 grams of fiber, the ratio of insoluble fiber to the soluble one is pretty high and that can help the digestive system a lot and help maintain good gut health.
- While many categorize corn as a grain but the fact is it is not a grain and is gluten-free naturally, this makes it one of the go-to foods for anyone trying to lose weight and for those who are allergic to gluten.
- Since corn is really rich in starch, it can keep you feeling full for longer durations, can act as a source of steady energy. Starch is part of the complex carbohydrates family and unlike refined carbs that give you small bursts of energy and keep you full only for small durations, complex carbs can keep you full for longer as well as can act as a source of energy for longer durations.
Disadvantages of Eating Corn
Till now you must have an image in your mind regarding is corn good for weight loss or not. The above two sections must have formed some sort of opinion in your mind regarding corn and if it can really help you shed those extra kilos. Although corn can be beneficial to the health and your gut, there are a few things that must be kept in mind regarding corn and how it can help or harm you.
- Corn is also a rich house of High Fructose Corn Syrup(HFCS). High Fructose Corn Syrup is really unhealthy and is not natural at all. It can cause significant damage to your health. It can lead to insulin resistance, obesity, and type 2 diabetes.
- Corn can prove to be dangerous for sensitive digestive systems despite being gluten-free it can still trigger stomach aches and can aggravate sensitive digestive systems. Anyone who suffers from food allergies should probably stay away from corn.
- Genetically Modified Organisms (GMOs) can turn out to be really harmful to the human body. Corn is a big-time GMO and when that happens it takes away all the nutrients and minerals from the food items.
Now that we are finished with the article, I hope if anyone asks you now is corn good for weight loss you can explain it to them well with all the advantages and disadvantages.